My Screen works Again :-)
Last Friday (and I only now notice it was Friday the 13th :D) my screen stopped working. I dismantled it and found some bad capacitors, then decided to do a small foto story showing my attempt to get it working again: My Screen went Dark :-(.
Today the electronics components I ordered arrived and I could finally replace those capacitors I found to be broken last time.
Soldering in the new capacitors was surprisingly easy. I remember that when I did this in my childhood, I spread solder everywhere except where I wanted it to ;)
The new capacitors are in the lower left (the ones with the wires standing out).
After clipping off the remainder of the capacitors’ legs, I put everything back together (a test run without the case was impossible because there are three small cables I have to attach to the PSU board) and plugged in the power cord. And…
…it worked flawlessly. No startup flickering like before, no sparks and no explosion. What a relief :D
All in all, it took me about 45 minutes and wasn’t too difficult, though at least, a soldering iron and some solder was needed. The electrical components I used as a replacement cost me pretty much exactly $1. Oh, and $10 for shipping :-/